Saturday, March 02, 2013

Snowy Woods





Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening

Whose woods these are I think I know.   
His house is in the village though;   
He will not see me stopping here   
To watch his woods fill up with snow.   

My little horse must think it queer   
To stop without a farmhouse near   
Between the woods and frozen lake   
The darkest evening of the year.   

He gives his harness bells a shake   
To ask if there is some mistake.   
The only other sound’s the sweep   
Of easy wind and downy flake.   

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.   
But I have promises to keep,   
And miles to go before I sleep,   
And miles to go before I sleep.

 ~ Robert Frost






going to check the mailbox...





Ah, my dear blog friends, I think that you are going to have to forgive me for this one. I think that there is an unwritten blog rule that says, "in March, one must post about crocus and daffodils and take many pictures of snowdrops to keep morale up!"

But, alas....

this was our world a week ago, and, even though it's, now, sugaring season (below freezing at night and mild thaw during the day which makes the sap run in the trees) and we have a few bare patches without snow on the ground, the only thing we can see that has survived the winter is the mud!

Yes, this is a beautiful Vermont March and I will celebrate it (for as long as I can without going insane for spring! ;-) )

Can you handle it for a moment more? (Wintry images, I mean - yet, surely, this is an early spring snow?!)

I promise to post something warm and cheery, next time! =]





xo



10 comments:

  1. It's so much more beautiful when its not in MY garden... Sorry, Katy! Your images are gorgeous! I'm hoping that we do not get that snow on Wednesday, though. I've had enough, thank you very much. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this Katy! And...that poem by Robert Frost was the first poem I memorized when I was in elementary school!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my dear Katy. Alas we have 'Winter Storm Warnings" out. I kid you not. There are no crocus or daffodil or any other such idyllic thoughts or photos over my way. Well it's all so very sad as the snow was melting with water running down the streets yesterday. In like a lion - out like a lamb? It's going to be a looooonng month. :(
    xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. March is winter to my part of the world. Seeing spring flowers only makes me wish for things that cannot be. At least not for a few more weeks. Your gorgeous winter scenes remind me to enjoy what is here today. Have a lovely day my friend. Jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss March in Southern California!!! The warm winds, the trees and plants beginning to blossom, the warm days and cool nights...it's snowing where I am right now...two years ago it snowed on Memorial Day...
    I feel your melancholy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, Katherine.... the roses in Pasadena are probably going beautifully, right now, sigh... =]

      Delete
  6. I love, Love, LOVE the red shed in the falling snow photo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Katy it's been too long that I stopped by here for a lovely visit...I'm never disappointed with your photos or your words - so thoughtful and gentle. I did however go to the links below and got carried away at Karin A fotographi for a very long time!!! I'm enjoying your Flickr photostream very much and feel at home stopping by here. Have a wonderful evening! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a magical post for me Katy - we don't get snow in my neck of the woods - elsewhere in the country but not right here!
    Those images are just out of this world - I'm so glad you didn't do a daffodil post this time!!!
    Thank you for visiting my blog.
    Sending you some summer sunbeams from my corner of the world!
    and a Kiwi hug too!
    Shane ♥

    ReplyDelete